Tim's mom the day before suggested diabetes as a possible reason for her behavior: mood changes, constant hunger, constant thirst, wet diapers...but we have no family history, she's so young...or so we thought. One simple blood test later we were told to head to Children's National Medical Center as soon as possible. This day may be my biggest regret as a working mom. I was in a quarterly meeting for our company and feeling very guilty I wasn't with my daughter. Instead, I was at work, pushing this bad feeling aside so I could be viewed like a professional, like all the Dads in office; they don't take off work for their kids, that's what their wives do.
Tim called me in the middle of my meeting, I ran out the door. Our suspicions were true and our girl was lethargic in the back of our car as we drove to DC. We arrived at the hospital, scared to death. A wasn't happy - and we met a team of nurses and endocrinologists who would be our lifeline the next few days. That afternoon, it was confirmed that A had type 1 diabetes at fourteen months old on August 27, 2012. The three of us spent two full days at Children's National Hospital in DC undergoing tests and treatment before heading home. Tim, our mothers and I spent over 8 hours learning about diabetes, our daughter's treatment plan and left the hospital armed with insulin, needles and the reality that without a cure, she will have diabetes for the rest of her life.
A is an identical twin so we asked about her sister, B, and her chances of also being diagnosed. The doctors gave her 80% odds. They told us that B could never get it, be diagnosed in a year, 10 years or much later in life. I reached out to my twins group asking if any of their children had T1D - looking for a resource to help navigate this new world of needles, insulin and blood glucose monitors. A few weeks later I received an email from a mom in our group who has identical twins. Her daughters were on the cover of National Geographic months before A diagnosis. She told me that her one daughter still hadn't been diagnosed and that gave me hope!
{A home after diagnosis playing with her new stethoscope, 14 months old}
{B on her way to Fairfax Hospital where she was diagnosed at 22 months old}
During challenging life events, we have tried to count our blessings. We have two happy girls who are home, back to their playful selves. We have the best friends and family who help out daily as we couldn't raise twins, let alone two with diabetes, without a fabulous support team.
I have hope, and see it daily, in our girls' tremendous courage. They have impressed us throughout this experience and continue to do so. We hope as they grow they will continue to show perseverance in the everyday challenges of type 1 diabetes and are part of the journey to find a T1D cure!


No comments:
Post a Comment